Current:Home > ScamsGeorge Santos sues Jimmy Kimmel, says TV host fooled him into making embarrassing videos -ProfitLogic
George Santos sues Jimmy Kimmel, says TV host fooled him into making embarrassing videos
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 10:59:26
NEW YORK − Former U.S. Rep. George Santos alleged in a lawsuit filed Saturday that late-night host Jimmy Kimmel deceived him into making videos on the Cameo app that were used to ridicule the disgraced New York Republican on the show.
The lawsuit filed in U.S. district court for the southern district of New York names Kimmel, ABC and Walt Disney Co. as defendants. A Disney representative listed as a media contact for the Jimmy Kimmel Live! show didn't immediately respond to The Associated Press' request for comment.
Santos, who was expelled from the House of Representatives last year after being charged with multiple counts of fraud and stealing from donors, is suing over alleged copyright infringement, fraudulent inducement, breach of contract and unjust enrichment.
Kimmel misrepresented himself to induce Santos to create personalized videos "capitalizing on and ridiculing" his "gregarious personality," the lawsuit alleges.
Through Cameo, Santos received requests from individuals and businesses seeking personalized video messages. Unbeknownst to Santos, Kimmel submitted at least 14 requests that used phony names and narratives, according to the complaint.
Starting in December the videos were played on a segment, " Will Santos Say It? " the suit says.
'Soft-brained wackos':Jimmy Kimmel hits back at Aaron Rodgers after he speculates comic is on Epstein list
In one of the clips, Santos offers congratulations to the purported winner of a beef-eating contest, calling the feat of consuming 6 pounds of ground beef in under 30 minutes "amazing and impressive."
"Frankly, Kimmel's fake requests were funny, but what he did was clear violation of copyright law," Robert Fantone, an attorney for Santos, said.
Academy AwardsJimmy Kimmel gets help from Ryan Gosling's Ken, Weird Barbie on way to Oscars Land
Santos is seeking statutory damages totaling $750,000 for the five videos he created that were played on the show and various social media platforms. He also asks for other damages to be determined at trial.
The ex-lawmaker faces a slew of criminal charges, including allegations that he defrauded campaign donors, lied to Congress about his wealth, received unemployment benefits while employed and used campaign contributions to pay for personal expenses like designer clothing. He also is alleged to have made unauthorized charges on credit cards belonging to some of his donors.
Santos pleaded not guilty to a revised indictment in October.
On Tuesday, Democrat Tom Suozzi won a special election for Santos' former seat.
veryGood! (589)
Related
- Small twin
- Target sales dip first time in 6 years amid Pride Month backlash, inflation
- Search continues for Camela Leierth-Segura, LA songwriter on Katie Perry hit, missing since June
- New Jersey shutters 27 Boston Market restaurants over unpaid wages, related worker issues
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Appeals court backs limits on mifepristone access, Texas border buoys fight: 5 Things podcast
- Oklahoma City man kills his 3 children and estranged wife before taking his own life, police say
- 2 Florida men sentenced to federal prison for participating in US Capitol riot
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Material seized in police raid of Kansas newspaper should be returned, prosecutor says
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- This summer's crazy weather just can't stop, won't stop Americans from having fun
- Head back to school with the Apple M1 MacBook Air for 25% off with this Amazon deal
- Paradise, California deploying warning sirens 5 years after historic, deadly wildfire
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- A look at the tumultuous life of 'Persepolis' as it turns 20
- Loved ones frantically search for DC-area attorney Jared Shadded, last seen at Seattle Airbnb
- Millions of Apple customers to get payments in $500M iPhone batterygate settlement. Here's what to know.
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Feds raise concerns about long call center wait times as millions dropped from Medicaid
FOMC meeting minutes release indicates the Fed may not be done with rate hikes
Suspect in New Jersey councilwoman’s slaying indicted on murder, weapons charges
Small twin
California town of Paradise deploys warning sirens as 5-year anniversary of deadly fire approaches
With a simple question, Ukrainians probe mental health at a time of war
U.S. jobless claims applications fall as labor market continues to show resiliency